CQJP July Block

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Pillow Swap

I was in a little pillow swap on StitchMap. Here's what I made for my swap partner Sarah.
The theme was summer, and I wanted to use fabrics in the same colors Sarah has in her home.


On side one, a dragonfly,  lace sunflowers with a beaded outline, button centers and tatting sewn onto a 'beach' fabric. This side has a beige backing.
side two was created with layers of lilac fabric, two pieces of flowery fabric on top, and covered with a pale blue organza embellished with stitched flowers. I added ribbon, laces, buttons, beads, hand embroidery and a dyed lace heart. It feels light and feminine.








There's a blue 'MOP' button that came from a sweater my mother knit me when I was 10.

This pillow side is backed with a patterned beige fabric.

Sarah's name is stitched onto the pillow in the upper right. I wanted to join the the blue beaded seam treatment to the upper lace row, and the threads seem to softly echo the two shades of blue.


I made a felt pocket for holding a packet of tissues, or a little sachet in the pillow








                                                                       



 ribbon straps for hanging


the two sides of the pillow are hand-stitched together.






I sure hope Sarah likes her pillow! I tucked  a few little goodies into her pillow package.
Sarah's pillow was caught in the backlog of mail due to the postal strike, so I hope it finds its way to her soon.

My swap partner Amber sent me this pillow:



A cute waterlily on a lily pad!
 Isn't the crocheting lovely and lacy?





Thank you, Amber!







I hope your day has smiles in it.
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

14 comments:

  1. Admiring all the eye candies! Pardon my ignorance,what exactly is a pillow here? look like they are little bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is very nice ;
    I like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Singtatter, and thanks for your nice comment. The little pillows are supposed to be decorative, and hang from a doorknob. They're about 7" square maximum in size. Mine was approximately 6" in size.
    Since I like things to be useful as well, I created a little open pocket for a package of tissues or a sachet if my swap partner wished to use it that way. It could also be used as a little bag. It would be the perfect size for holding a tatting needle, or shuttle, and a ball of thread!
    Thanks for visiting. Hugs from Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Max. I love the jewel tones of my little pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a little pocket in a lovely pillow that hangs from a room's doorknob. Both of these are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eliz! That little pocket would be a pretty place to stash one's tatting, yet have it close to hand. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a pillow swap. Neat idea & both are delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pillow Suz and a great idea with the pocket.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to swap little pillows. Yours is just stunning and so very thoughtful for your swap partner. The lilly pad you received is adorable. Happy swapping...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of a pillow swap before, either, but it was a fun challenge, JennyPennyPoppy.

    Thank you Anni! I had a lot of fun with the pillow.

    Createology, thank you so much for your lovely comment! I'm doing more swapping, but different items. Hope you're having a nice, sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too was wondering what a pillow swap was. To me, a pillow is something soft to lay your head on at the end of a hard day! Yours are so pretty and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Janet! Apparently lots of people like to hang these pillows on door knobs or hanging posts as decoration. Thanks for the lovely comment, but, gee, aren't you supposed to be knitting? heheheh Have a good day!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suz, such a wonderful swap, I think the mini pillows are so cute, and you did a lot of beautiful work with yours, dear.
    xo,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Dorthe! Hope you're having a wonderful day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!