CQJP July Block

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Arrives

The gardens are in bloom!  There are lots of garden photos, followed by stitching photos.































It was quite hot over the last few days, but this morning is cool and sunny. We had a few moments of rain last evening, and although the rain barrel was 1/3 full before the rain fell, it's only half full now. The soil is still dry in the gardens, so I'll spend some time watering today.
There has been some stitching.

I completed this purple piece. I'm leaving the purple section in the lower right bare until I decide if I want to add some white or pale thread in a meandering vine.

I began working on another purple piece with the addition of a gathered, variegated fabric strip, 2 buttons, beads on sequins, purple silk ribbon, and a blue trim.

The frilly tatting looks like a woolly caterpillar..... lol

Purple fur, purple bullions, french knots and herringbone stitch embellish this seam.

I wrapped the silk ribbon with variegated thread, and added french knots to the flower centers.

Blue beads decorate the blue trim.

The progress so far........









 



On the crewel piece flower #3, I added the inside row of beads and more metallic purple  thread.

Next came the outer row of beads.

I began weaving inside the leaf shapes.

dimension

Next came the second colour for the weaving.

Flower #3 is completed, and I've begun working on flower #4, but not enough to show any photos yet.













Flower #3 is completed, and I've begun working on flower #4, but not enough progress has been made to show any photos.


I'm couching some off-white gimp along the outline of the flowers on the wrapping cloth.

I may decide to add some beads, too, for a bit of bling.

The gimp seems to show up against the background and define the flower shapes and petals.

This last prepared piece is almost finished!

That's all the stitching for this week. I hope your week was a creative and enjoyable one.


Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

18 comments:

  1. How pretty your garden is looking. I could identify some of your flowers, but not all. I have heard of gimp, but not sure what it is..must look it up.Your purple works are lovely.Such neat stitching- very meditative I find.I must do some soon!
    We are still awaiting our bathroom reno's(start end July). Gosh it's hard to wait!!
    Happy Summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I have been enjoying my gardens, and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it, too. Gimp comes in different sizes and colours, and is a thread wrapped over a core thread. Mine is one I found in a second-hand shop and is rather soft, but is wrapped in an off-white, shiny thread that may be rayon. I also have some silk wrapped gimp in purple, some in blue from a friend, and a purchased green one, too. It can be a bit fragile, but is fun to use. Thanks.

      Hugs

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. Love seeing your garden,so many things I can't grow, hostas , but some I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. Hostas are a favourite of mine so I'm glad I have some shady areas in my gardens.

      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Purple is one of my favourite colours too so I'm enjoying seeing your work. Thank you for the flowers as well - seeing those makes me miss our garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, Mary Anne, because I'll be working on one or maybe two purple projects this year. Prepare for a purple onslaught! teehee Missing one's garden is the perfect excuse to buy some cut flowers, don't you think so? ;-)

      Hugs

      Delete
  4. With all those beautiful flowers in your garden, it's no wonder your stitch is so fabulous... great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Yes, the garden does inspire my work -- sometimes stitch and sometimes painting. I'm itching to try to capture, in paint, that gorgeous purple and blue iris. Maybe I'll have a paint day soon.

      Hugs

      Delete
  5. certainly lots of colour in your garden, not sure what has happened here but my lupins have no sign of flowers and the bush not sure what it is that is usually covered in tiny white flowers has not flowered either blame the weather. Lots of stitching crazy blocks looks so good and the flower is coming along nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! What a shame your lupins and your bush have not flowered this year. Is it too late for them to flower now? I've never been able to grow lupins...........
      Hugs

      Delete
  6. Oh wow Love them all and the dutch Irises are one of my favorite ones, then you follow with great stitching and love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mad! The irises have done well this year, and I have some to plant in new areas. I may just have to get more varieties since they're so pretty. :-) shhhh, don't tell DH lol

      Hugs

      Delete
  7. Your pretty flowers brighten up a mid-Winter day for me! Such lovely textures you have in your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the flowers, Jane! Thanks

      Hugs

      Delete
  8. such a beautiful garden.. I could look at the flowers all day and do nothing :-) . Both the gimp outlined flowers and the crewel one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! Sometimes I go out to the garden with the thought of sitting down and sipping on my tea, resting for a bit and enjoying the view, but then I spot some weeds, or a plant that's drooping, and I'm back working before I realize it............

      Hugs

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful garden you have Suz. I love all the flowers, but especially the Iris.Your stitching is equally lovely. I love the crewel piece. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. The gardens are growing and changing each year, and I'm enjoying the flowers. The crewel piece is coming along slowly, but brings me joy even though I need to use the magnifier to see properly.

      Hugs

      Delete

I love to read your comments!