CQJP July Block

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Melting in July

There's a purple theme this week. First, a little tat in progress. I'm playing around with ideas, and making it up as I go along.





My friend is having a birthday this month. We've known each other since our children were small, and over the years we've volunteered together, and worked together. Now, we don't see each other very often, and we usually only send online greetings to one another. But, this year, I thought I'd do something a little different. I've been reminiscing about the good times and laughter we've shared, so I wanted to celebrate my friend on her special day.
She loves angels. And her mother used to dress her in purple when she was much, much younger, so I decided to work with both. (gee, I hope she still likes purple!)
It began with a paper card blank, punched.


I then auditioned laces, doilies, hankies, and some of the purple fabric I snow-dyed, creating layers. Tatted bits were auditioned also.

I then printed onto fabric some angels, plus a few angel quotes. This wee angel was on a postcard I received years ago.




Once I had decided on the lay-out, I stitched the fabrics together, adding embellishments.
You can't see, but there's a double pocket behind the purple hankie.
I wove some variegated, purple, silk ribbon through the openings on the hankie lace edging, then I added two lace flowers.


Purple foil was stitched onto this snow-dyed coarse fabric, then sandwiched with a lovely lace frame. I then added a tatted angel. A large star is surrounded by tiny bead 'stars', then a snow-dyed piece of ribbon was added as a border on three sides. Two different trims border the fourth side of this fabric page.

Here's how they look.
 The back page sports another angel quote, a lace angel, lace trim and tatting.
Before all the fabric pages were stitched together around each portion of the card, I laced through the punched openings with 2 pieces of shiny cord.  In purple, of course!



 And because I always sign my emails with Hugs from Suz, I just had to add that little metal tag onto the back page.
After tying, the cord ends were decorated with pretty dangles made with a selection of beads, a shell heart, swarovski crystals, and a shell sequin.

All stitched and blinged.
Happily the fabric card stands up on its own.

I then added a card I'd gelli-printed.
Lastly, I placed a wee tag into the hidden pocket. It has string dangles decorated with tiny purple heart buttons.

I mailed off the package, and I hope my friend is soon happily surprised!








Although the fabric book took me several days to complete, I also found a wee bit of time to stitch on the wrapping cloth. The last piece is finished, the edges bound with buttonhole stitch, and another completed piece added.

2 together




I only have 1 side to complete with the buttonhole edging, and then this third piece will be added to the above. Progress!

The crewel piece has been set aside while the hot and humid weather is here: I have to use a strong light and magnifier to see this clearly, and right now it's too hot to stitch under hot lights.










In the garden, the lillies are still blooming.

This is a pretty one!

The echinacea is in flower, too.





In the front yard, the black-eyed susan vine has gone a little crazy.

Here's the back side of the planter. Hmmmmm, maybe it likes the shady side better?
I hope you're having a fun and creative week.
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

22 comments:

  1. Oh Suz, your friend is going to LOVE this lovely piece of art.That baby is just TOO CUTE!!! "Old" friends are The Best aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Judy! Old friends have seen you go through changes, and they still stick around, anyway. ;-) Thanks.

      Hugs

      Delete
  2. what a wonderful book you have made can imagine the delight on her face when she sees it.Wrapping cloth coming along well and your garden is full of colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself bursting into smiles every time I think of her opening the package I sent. Sure hope she likes it. Thanks.

      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous fabric book, I am sure she will love it.
    Your garden is looking lovely beautiful plant pictures.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you're right, Margaret. It feels good having this secret. Yesterday I saw a hummingbird moth fluttering about the monarda, enjoying a small feast. Hugs

      Delete
  4. Lovely thoughts and work. Lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I hope she feels the same way. ;-)

      Hugs

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful present you have made for your friend. She is going to be thrilled to bits with it.
    Your garden is still looking lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Robin! I hope you're right. I haven't heard from my friend, so I don't know if she received her surprise package yet.

      Hugs

      Delete
    2. oops - this comment might come through twice - sorry! As I said...your friend is bound to love something that has been created just for her. I always think that something that has been made with love means far more than something that comes from a store.

      Delete
    3. I agree that something made with love is far more valuable because it comes from the heart and took precious time to create. I found out that my friend did receive her gift, and was quite happy with it, showing it off to everyone. I'm so happy she liked it.

      Hugs

      Delete
  6. Beautiful gift,Suz. I am sure she's going to love it. Black eyed Susan is on my Brazilian embroidery to do list. Does it come in any other colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deepa! As far as I know, black-eyed susan only comes in the yellow-orange petals with the black center. The black-eyed susan is a member of the rudbeckia family:
      rud·beck·i·a
      ro͞odˈbekēə,ˌrəd-/Submit
      noun
      a North American plant of the daisy family, with yellow or orange flowers and a dark conelike center.

      The meaning of this flower is encouragement.
      The black-eyed susan vine has the same colouring, but has a flat center with much fewer, flatter-shaped petals. Hope this helps.

      Hugs

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely colorful post !
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.in/2016/07/failure.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment!

      Hugs

      Delete
  8. Suz Dear I am late to the party. My awe in your handcrafted card/book for your friend is due to the Labor of Love you put into each and every detail. Creating a gifted treasure personalized with things she loves is always the best gift possible. Your time and thought are what make this gift extra special. Your friend is truly loved and she should feel extremely special. Purple is so Regal and Angels are such Grace. Beautifully created dear. Your garden and flowers are very pretty. Embracing Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sherry! I'm happy to write that my friend loved her fabric card and was showing it off to all her family and friends. I'm so glad she liked it. I've already started another one! *:) happy

      Hugs

      Delete
  9. Wow Suztats, you are the best-est :) that is a wonderful card and the hugs thing is sweet love the color and angel too everything worth blogging about too! God be with kisses Suzy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mad! The card was such fun to do (already have another underway!) but I wish I had more hugs charms! I'll be keeping my eyes open for more. Happy weekend.

      Hugs

      Delete
  10. nothing is beautiful than handmade with love..beautiful colours..lovely flowers too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!