CQJP July Block

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Painting Experiments 2

If you remember, I painted this:
But I wasn't happy with the results of my experiment painting through the cheesecloth. I decided to apply a wax resist, and then add more paint. And this was the result:

I really liked the squiggle on the left, and the circle motifs in the purple and green, so I thought , once it dried, I would add more paint to emphasize the saved light colours.


I added darker tones of the same colours, then topped with plastic wrap, smooshing the wrap and paint into shapes of coloured texture, and let it dry.

Once I removed the plastic wrap after drying, I was left with this:  But where were my saved light shapes? I guess the wax resist only works with one paint application! Who knew?
Darn! I really liked those 'lights.'
So, now what?
Another experiment?






I hope your experiments have more positive results!
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

7 comments:

  1. Suztats,
    Your painting is very lively! I still like it. But then what do you expect from a person that was around in the tie dye years of life back in the day..LOL! It's very hipped & takes the cat's meow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, I was around in the 70's, too, so I know tie-dye. I'm glad you like the painting, but I'm just doing some experiments and hoping I can use some decent bits......provided I get any decent results....could be that it all turns to mud! We shall see. Thanks for visiting. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way of producing interesting colours I have produced some very different paintings with that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to "puddle around" and experiment isn't it. I had a wall hanging that went wrong so I cut it up with the Rotary cutter.Gee it was fun!!!
    You could do that with your piece?Reassemble.....
    I like your piece as it is though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, it is fun to play and experiment, isn't it? I think it helps me in two different ways.....1) there's paint on the paper and I don't have the 'white-paper syndrome'.....and 2) it gets me out of my comfort zone, and into play mode. I sometimes like to start with an abstract and take it into a bit more realistic painting. Sometimes it works......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problem is that sometimes the puddle becomes a muddle, which is what has happened to this experiment. I may just cut it up and use it on cards or as tags. I'll play with it a bit more, though, first before I decide. You never know.......
    I am interested to see just what you create with the pieces from your wall hanging, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suztats,
    To experiment is just letting the child in us have fun & come out to play! We can't be grown ups all the time..LOL! That's why I like seeing what we come up with when we step out of our comfort zone..that's when we act like we are spose to Adults. Looking at things through kids eyes means anything is possible! You'll get what you want to turn out yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!